Everyone deals with low self-esteem or a lack of self-confidence from time to time. It's not easy to face hardships with a smile, nor should you try to; unresolved stress or anxiety can manifest itself in many negative ways (including physical illness).
But sometimes we just need a little nudge to try to get out of a rut or to keep going on a path that seems long and arduous. Hope can help us emerge from difficult situations feeling stronger and wiser.
Here are some quotes about finding that inner strength, from people who have faced hardship, to inspire you to keep going.
Inner Strength Quotes from Politicians
- Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.
- Too often the strong, silent man is silent only because he does not know what to say, and is reputed strong only because he has remained silent.
- Winston Churchill. The legendary British Prime Minister, who was shot at during the Boer War and guided his country through World War II, was never at a loss for words.
- A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.
- Eleanor Roosevelt. Although Roosevelt changed forever the office of First Lady, acting as an advocate for women, minorities, and the poor, she had much hardship in her life, including being orphaned at age 10.
- The strong man is the one who is able to intercept at will the communication between the senses and the mind.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
- Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.
- John F. Kennedy
- It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.
- Frederick Douglass
- You are never strong enough that you don't need help.
- Cesar Chavez
Inner Strength Quotes from Writers
- Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live as well as think.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson. He rose to become one of the elder statesmen of literary circles in early America, but Emerson suffered both the loss of his wife not long after their wedding and the early loss of his father, both of which affected him profoundly.
- The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.
- Ernest Hemingway. Although he was a highly influential journalist and novelist, Hemingway struggled with alcoholism and depression his entire life.
- Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.
― Maya Angelou. The author had a difficult childhood which included being raped by her mother's boyfriend, but she went on to win numerous critical accolades and awards for her writing.
Inner Strength Quotes from Philosophers
- To keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise, we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
- That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
- Look well into thyself; there is a source of strength which will always spring up if thou wilt always look.
― Marcus Aurelius